???? (512) 466-6149Click to Call The Roof Specialists™
How Do I Know if I Have Hail Damage? (Updated 12/20)
When hail beats down, it can ruin your roof as well as other property. Hailstorms are destructive; the amount of damage can be considerable. The following are some circumstances that influence the nature and extent of injury of your roof:
- Wind – the wind direction and velocity can differ in a hail storm. Variations in wind positions can change the location and severity of hail forces.
- Size and density – The size of hail can influence the degree of damage, if any, to your property. Hail can be as tiny as a pea or as big as a softball. Most hailstones are not softly edged. The shape can affect the type of damage caused.
- Building materials – Various types of construction materials protect against hail impacts differently. Consider a hail storm that causes dings in metal siding, eaves, or bitumen shingles, whereas it can impair vinyl siding. Alternatively, large hail is dense and strong enough to penetrate a standard residential roofing system. Additionally, the life and health of a roof could influence the level of injury.
- Obstacles – The position of neighboring buildings and physical obstacles, like tree protection, landscaping, walls, or nearby homes, can decrease hail’s ability to cause damage.
How do I know if I have hail damage?
Asphalt Shingle Roof
- Your roof has damage with no discernible guide.
- The damage is black in color.
- Loss of granules, which could reveal the roof felt.
- Asphalt and mat that looks bright.
- Roof damage that is soft to the touch.
There are several kinds of damage done to shingles, which could be confused with hail damage. Consider vulnerability to harsh weather and the everyday Texas climate that makes shingles fragile and gives them worn features. Loss such as this is caused by everyday wear and tear of shingles, which might look like hail damage. Other signs of natural wear and tear may include blistering, splitting, granule deterioration, and flaking. Manufacturing errors in shingles can also be confused for hail damage. We recommend having your roof inspected by your local Austin roof specialist.
Your Free Roof Check
A roof inspection is essential for preserving the longevity of your roof. Over time, several factors can lead to damage to your roof, including the harsh Texas climate and severe weather events such as hailstorms and wind storms.
The Harsh Texas Climate
The weather is unpredictable in the local Austin area. Most roofing systems have been designed to endure the everyday Texas climate; however, harsh weather changes and winds can take a toll on your roof. Drastic shifts in temperatures can cause your roofing materials to swell and compress. Due to hot Texas Summers and cold winters, our specialists recommend having your roof examined two times per year.
Hail and Wind storms
If your home has undergone a significant weather event such as hail or high winds, it’s vital to contact the Austin Roof Specialists to ensure that your roof is not damaged. An unnoticed leak is expensive. Leaks caused by severe weather events (and leaks in general) can cause decay, discoloration to the exterior and interior of your house and potentially even a pest problem. Having a roof examination can prevent additional damage and save you lots of cash!
By giving thought and having your roof examined, you are preserving your home’s strength and durability. Please don’t wait until it’s too late! If you haven’t had your roof inspected this year, or since the previous hail or wind storm, you should contact the Austin Roof Specialists to perform a free roof inspection today!
Your Austin Roof Specialists will conduct a visual examination of your roof as well as fixtures, such as flashing, vents, chimneys, and pipes. Once our analysis is complete, we will give suggestions based on our observations and outline the best course of action to repair any damages to your roof. We will then provide an estimate to renew or fix any blemishes to your roof.